From my kitchen to yours

From my kitchen to yours

Saturday, June 29, 2013

DAY 98 - CRY ME A RIVER...MUTTON..

And yesterday I gave away my piano .
No I do not know how to play a musical instrument.
But I could play devils march by heart.
And I was pretty good at it
Then happy birthday and do re mi ..

As a kid I could not really afford a piano or the piano lessons.
So I sang, I still do..
I love music and thankfully the sound of my own voice when no one is
listening to me .
I sang alto because it was easier.
And I deflected I to soprano whenever I liked a particular song .
But all the years of screaming like a hooligan has taken it's toll on my voice ,and my debut album ha ha ha
And so today I sing only to my kids and to myself.
Zeke normally tells me to keep quite but Zene and me do duets ..

And so in 2002 after searching for a piano for about a year.
A friend I know was moving house , and she did not have space and so was selling her piano.
I jumped at it.
I thought I would learn to play.
But I never found the time to.
I was busy travelling the world with music and Cricket.
But I looked after my piano.
It was always cleaned and tuned, and I would tinker with it when I wanted to ..
There is nothing like the sound of a piano in a home ..

I bought it because I felt that if not me my kids would get a chance to play on a real true blue old piece of art.
Well it's been 3 years since I have been trying to get Zeke interested.
Zeke who thinks he knows it all..boys..

Zene giving it a shot..

And Zene is just about starting.

I have been going through a let go or give away stage in life..
So I am  letting  go of people (with great difficulty ) that do not want to stay
And I'm giving away stuff that someone can make better use of.







But today when I saw my piano being carried away by 6 men .

I just broke down ,there was a sharp pain deep in my heart.
With it went a little bit of hope that I maybe would find time to learn a musical instrument.
Hope is a very beautiful thing ..
It keeps you alive..
But hoping for something to happen without working at it
Is futile ..

I have always wanted a piano right from the time I was tiny and singing at a talent contest
I still remember my first song
'But you love me daddy'
I also remember my grandma teaching me this song and me not reaching in time because she got the timing mixed up (I'm like her .. Oh my god )
So me in my pretty dress and stockings and shoes, did not get a chance to sing ..

I have always been healthily jealous of people who can play a musical instrument.
I think they are truly blessed.
I don't have it ( like I'm bad with languages)
I don't  have the patience..
Maybe Zeke is like me.
He actually wants to learn the drums ..
Yup he does..
But I cannot handle drums at the moment
Maybe I will let him when I'm old and deaf ..
Anyway the point of my rant is that I let go of my piano , that I loved and have always wanted...

And so today I decided to make Mutton do pyaaza ..
Which as the name suggests is double the amount of onions to the mutton ..
Basically I want to cry and I can use the onions as my excuse..
I believe that crying is good for health it cleanses your soul ..
So I googled and found a whole lot of recipes..
And some in Arabic..
Which was most informative , since I do not understand it at all ha ha ha

Well this is a combination of a recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor and Aditya bal and some other recipes..

INGREDIENTS

MUTTON-800 gm

Onion- 750 gm
Tomatoes- 4
Dry red chili - 6
Green chili - 4
Pepper corns- 6
Cardamom - 4
Fennel seeds - 3 tsp
Fenugreek
seeds or methi seeds -1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 piece about 2 inches
Black cardomom -2
Pomegranate seeds- 4tbsp
Yoghurt -1/2 kg 

 Coriander seeds -2 tablespoons
Cumin seed-1 tablespoon
Lemon juice     -2 tablespoons
Ginger- chopped 2 inch piece
Fresh mint leaves - 1 handful
Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Garam
masala powder     1 tbsp
Fresh coriander leaves,chopped  2 tablespoons
Ghee/clarified butter- 6 tbsp

Method


With a hand pestle grind together the , red chillies, 2 green chillies, the pepper corn,cardamom, fennel seeds,
fenugreek seeds, pomegranate seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds..with a tablespoon of ghee.
Add the juice of 1 lime to it.
Then in a pressure cooker add 4 tbsp of ghee/clarified butter.
Add about 1/4 the onions and two green chillies..
Cook it till the onion gets translucent, add the spice mix and cook for 5 minutes more..
Take it off the fire and drain the onion spice mix, leave it to cool and then grind it in mixer

Put the pressure cooker back on the fire with the used ghee and add two more tbsp of ghee.

Put all the onions into it and let it sweat, on a medium flame.
Add the ginger paste and cook the entire mix for at least 15 minutes.
Add the cinnamon, the black cardamom , garam masala,turmeric powder ..
Give it a good stir..
Add the mutton pieces and let it all cook on a high flame for 10 minutes..
Please take extra care to not burn it.
Then put the flame down on medium and let it cook for another 25 minutes..
My grandma used to say that if you want tasty food , it need to be bagaar'd..or bhuno 'd..
So that's what I did..

Then add the mint.
I put in half a kg of yogurt , shut the pressure cooker and let it whistle twice.
I then brought down the flame and let it cook for 15 minutes.
Put it off and left it to cool.

Serve with mint and freshly cut onions with lime squeezed on it ..



And so today I'm letting it all out..
Half way mark to the year 2013..
And I'm cleaning and de-cluttering mind, body, heart , soul and home..

And so as I look at my ready mutton do pyaaza..

I'm thinking of my piano that is now sitting in my church ..
Where it will be played every Sunday , by someone who really knows how to make beautiful music.
So many kids will have a first hand experience of a true blue old fashioned piano...
I'm happy..
It will do what it was made to do ..
Play music ..
In my home it was a beautiful piano that was never really played..

And so even though I have still not gotten over the fact that I freely gave away something that I have always loved and wanted..
I think now it will be much happier ..

According to me a musical instrument not played is furniture
And a heart that cannot love with abandon is just a muscle ..

Music and love are both entwined..
Like the earth and the rain..
The sky and the deep blue sea..
The poet and her muse..
A paratha and ghee..
A muscle and a dumbell..
Yoga and health..
A run and endorphins..
Etc..
Well that's my opinion completely and nobody has to agree with me ..

Cry me a river- Mutton..

So as I bite into my "Cry me a River-Mutton "..
That I used as my excuse to cry with abandon..
I'm thinking its all good  ..
It's funny how an onion that makes your eyes water while you are slicing it , completely turns sweet once you cook it ..

I guess that means all of us humans also become better people after we pass through trying times..
More compassionate, more loving, more understanding...more in tune with true feelings deep inside us and other people....

Well the sweetness of the onion and the spice of the chillies along with this tender mutton has sufficed me  at the moment to pacify my heart break ..

The rest I will sort out with some music  and time ..
With lotsa love and a looooong sigh only from "Maria's Kitchen "

30 comments:

  1. A true gem Mz Goretti! Thank u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that mutton looks Y.U.M.M.Y!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Piano not played is furniture......... so true. I have three guitars and I've been favoring the latest one for some time now. But tonight I'll play my first guitar.

    I think true love is when you can let go of people if you think they'd be better off away from you. Your love for your piano is also true. And I'm sure your piano will love you even more for letting it go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautifully written maria..again a relatable post for me,love for music,deep attachments even with things n yess trying times do change us for better..keep writting.. lots of love xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh another good one Maria!
    And now u have a space in your home and heart to fill with something new and modern n dare i say better...:)
    Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at the moment..
      just enjoying the space ..

      Delete
  6. :) emotions translated beautifully into words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww such a soulful post. Simply love the way you express yourself. God bless u and ur lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make this often Maria, and love it--Goat meat is hard to find where I stay, but I still make this, when i get my hands on some Mutton
    Loved what you said--that you would let Zeke play the drums, when you're old and deaf!.
    LoL--as always so funny, Maria
    -Guddi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha ha Guddi..
      need life to be funny , otherwise its boring ..

      Delete
  9. Playful,dramatic n jolly deliciously good write up..ha ha..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Maria, wow! What a post! Loved it!! <3 could connect with it easily.. the ‘letting go and giving away’ part of it… Sometimes holding onto someone seems hard and letting go seems harder.. but you've got to do it for the good.. and yeah i'm giving away my bunk bed to my lil cousins.. have many childhood memories attached to it.. 10 yrs ago dad got it made to fulfill my wish..so giving it away is gonna be difficult..
    Love the way you write :)- lilo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just rip it off, like a bandaid. Lol

      Kiran

      Delete
    2. Thank you sooo much ...
      And did you give your bed away ...

      Delete
    3. yess Maria, i did give it away..... and my room suddenly lost all itz charm... it didn't feel like 'my room' anymore.. but when i saw the pic of my cousins sitting on the bunk, all starry-eyed and wide smiles, it felt like having eaten a piece of chocolate-truffle cake after a heart-break.. oh-so-good! :)

      and @Kiran,hehe.. OUCchhH!! :P :D

      --lilo :)

      Delete
  11. "a musical instrument not played is furniture
    And a heart that cannot love with abandon is just a muscle"
    ...Very well said Maria!
    Thanks for motivating me to de-clutter my life and space as well :)
    Your mutton do pyazza looks yumm. My husband also makes delicious mutton...he uses no oil or ghee in his recipe. His recipe is very simple...Just dry roast some cumin seeds, black peppers, coriander seeds,whole cardamon and curry leaves.Add the chopped onions, ginger, garlic and tomatoes; add some salt and keep stirring. Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Add the mutton and cook on high heat..keep stirring; add mirchi powder, turmeric, kasmiri mirch powder and garam masala powder. Cook for 15-20 minutes, add some water. On a medium heat cook this mutton for 40-45 minutes or until its done. You can add some chopped coriander and kasoori methi before serving.
    This is his signature dish although he does not know how to make tea ;)

    Enjoy :)
    Raman
    Niagara Falls

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you soooo much Raman...
    I'm going to try this very Soon ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw diz beautiful piano playing by Zeke when Ian Wright was invited by Arshad Sir for dinner at home in d show of IAN WRIGHT on TLC. Its been a year now last i saw....firstly i loveeedddd ur name plate at the door of u n Arshad sir (MARIA n ARSHAD in a wooden heart shape plate) n loved ur house its wonderfull....<3 but wanna see d pics of d dishes u made tht night...:)
    Lotsa love by me to ur beautiful family..:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so we now know who to thank for that work of art, every Sunday.

    Amazingly, it takes a lot to courage to let go of something that was/is beautiful but we just don't have the time for.

    Bookmarking this post when I need to be that bigger person. God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi , How r u doin ..Happy new year .... whn ever i read ur blog ... i think of your red velvet cake .... hopin to keep in touch ............ erica

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi ...... Happy new year ..its been a while ... hopin to catch up .. r u planin to drop in to fabians place ... v should just practice some flowers ... lets plan ..erica

    ReplyDelete
  17. A heart-warming post :)

    ReplyDelete